Saturday, February 23, 2013

Try the Lectio Divina

Good People of the February Snows,

Did you try to find God in the ordinary tasks of life this week?  In the repetition of peeling carrots or the sorting of the laundry or the steps to take out the trash?   I found that on the days that I was mindful, there were ways to turn these every day tasks into opportunities to repeat phrases like thank you for being there, take my sin away, what do I do?  On those days I was drawn closer to God as God became a part of what I did every day.   On days I was not mindful, it would slip my mind completely and I would be left farther from God, not because God had moved, but I had not moved closer.

This week, we will be looking at the spiritual practice of Lectio Divina.   This is an ancient practice of praying the Scripture.    The process is pick a short Bible passage and read it aloud ( practically any passage would work). Then in silence,  (try 2 minutes) reflect on what the passage is saying.   Then read the same passage aloud again, this time in your silent reflection ask where am I in the passage?  Then read it a third time, and in the silence ask what is God trying to teach me in this passage.

Let me know how it works for you.  

No comments: